Out & About 

VISIT CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19

BUSY BEES AND ANCIENT WELLS

The Visitor Centre Conduit Head, Nobold Lane, Shrewsbury, SY5 8NP

Using your own transport or car share, we are planning a visit to The Apiary on THURSDAY 14TH MAY 2020 

TIME: 2.00 p.m.

COST: £5.00 Tea/coffee and biscuits included

PARKING: Available but limited so a car share would be helpful

The Apiary site, in Nobold Lane, Shrewsbury, is the location of one of the Town's historic water sources.  It was originally known as Broadwell and later as Conduit Head.

In medieval times the River Severn, which surrounds almost all of the town, was very polluted, with sewage and effluent from Shrewsbury ending up in the river.  Outbreaks of Cholera and Typhoid were common.

From 1556, Broadwell collected spring water from nine well heads providing clean water to Shrewsbury.  The water was carried through wooden pipes to several cisterns or storage tanks in the town.  At first water was delivered in buckets by water carriers to individual properties.

In the early 1880's cast iron Conduits were installed in Shrewsbury's streets allowing residents to draw the water for themselves.  The site then became known as Conduit Head.  A number of these Conduits still exist, although no longer in use!

Today Conduit Head is a Grade 2 16th Century building built in 1578 and made of red sand stone with timber framed trusses and nine associated wells.  The water system, owned and operated by the Corporation, remained in use until 1947.

In the 1980's Shrewsbury Civic Society and Severn Trent Water opened a Visitor Centre on the site.  Viewing platforms were built around the well heads, designed by Mary de Saulles, a local architect.  Unfortunately, the Centre was closed and fell into disrepair and extensive vandalism.

In 2018 Shropshire Beekeepers' Association acquired the site from Shropshire County Council on the basis of a long lease. SBKA through a team of Volunteers is transforming the historic site into The Apiary and Wildlife Visitor Centre.

To book this visit, please complete the booking form in your Spring Newsletter.